Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our 5year old male (neutered) has started weeing in a particular

Our 5year old male (neutered) has started weeing in a particular corner on carpet. `he has constant access to a clean litter tray. What should we do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

My first recommendation is always to have your cat examined by your vet in case this is some sort of medical related problem. Consider urinary tract infections for example ...

Scott Nimmo :

If this is not a medical problem then it must be a behavioural problem, truthfully this can be a difficult issue to resolve, I know you have tried some of my suggestions I am about to make but here listed below is the sum total of the ideas which I have given to my clients in the past, some of these have worked well, hopefully I can give you some new ideas to try ....

Scott Nimmo :

1. When you clean up after where he has been use one of the odour eliminator type solution you can get from the vet or pet store. These work as they have a biological action like a washing machine soap powder and digest organic matter. In fact a dilute solution of such a soap powder is a good thing to use as well. If you just use normal soap and water it will smell fine to you but to the cat it will still smell it afterwords, and if the place smells like a public toilet to a cat he may use it as such! Make sure you leave the cleaning agent to soak for a while ...

Scott Nimmo :

2. Try moving the cat litterbox, thats often a good thing to do. Best advice is to keep the litter tray well away from food or water bowls because that could be reason he does not go. Sometimes providing another litter tray elsewhere in the house is a good idea as well.

Scott Nimmo :

3. Change your cat litter to another brand which is very different in colour and texture from the brand you are using now. Also consider using earth from the garden instead of cat litter, it is not quite so absorbent as cat litter in terms of smells etc. but it is much more natural for the cat and might bring him back into his litter tray.

Scott Nimmo :

4. Some cats start to be dirty in the house because they are marking out their territory in response to some anxiety, another cat in the neighborhood etc. Products such as Feliway can help here, some of my clients swear by Feliway. Here is a link so you can read more : LINK

Scott Nimmo :

5. Some cats respond to low level tranquilisers where territorial anxiety concerning other cats is a factor but this is a last resort, it often works well though.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS