Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat is 15+ years old. During the past fortnight she has

My cat is 15+ years old. During the past fortnight she has been unable to digest any food -including Science Plan Sensitive Stomach, tuna, chicken breast etc. She has become very thin and drinks a tremendous amount of water. She doesn't seem to be in any pain but I wonder if this is kidney failure and if anything can be done to help her. As she is fairly elderly I don't want the trauma of getting her to the vet if really nothing will help. I would like to keep her at home until the end comes. Is this practical?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Sorry to hear about Tilly's condition, this does indeed sound like kidney failure but other diagnosis are possible such as diabetes for example ...

Scott Nimmo :

I am very much a cat person myself an dI know how you feel about taking her to the vet but this amy be the best thing for Tilly ...

Scott Nimmo :

The reason I say this is that death from kidney failure can be a very long drawn out and uncomfortable experience which can last many days with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Scott Nimmo :

They basically stop eating, become very lethargic and just waste away ...

Scott Nimmo :

If you think she still has son equality of life then fair enough, but if not it may be kinder to let go ... this is very hard for you I know ...

Scott Nimmo :

One thing is for sure though there will be nothing you can do for Tilly on a home remedy basis which will be of much help ...

Scott Nimmo :

Can I answer any specific points for you ...

Customer:

Thank you for your advice. I would still like to keep her at home until she really looks at the end then get the local vet to come in and put her down. I don't know if they will do this and no doubt it will be costly, but I'm elderly myself and would like her to die at home if possible.

Scott Nimmo :

Towards the end she will become very lethargic and " spaced out " so perhaps it will not be so bad because she will not be aware of much, but if she does appear to be in pain, then it would really be best to get a vet to visit ...

Scott Nimmo :

Unfortunately vets do seem to be quite costly these days it could be around one hundred pounds or perhaps a little more ...