Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My 8 month old Bengal - Zeus - has been in the Vets for almost

My 8 month old Bengal - Zeus - has been in the Vets for almost one week now.
His PCV was 6% and after lots of tests he was diagnosed with Haemolytic Anaemia. After a blood transfusion it climbed to 12%, and stayed at that for two days. However, this morning it dropped to 10%.
They will be doing more tests today, but they're talking about testing his bone marrow tomorrow which could reveal something else. I'm terrified that it may be Aplastic Anaemia.
Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Zeus. He is so young, and you sound so worried.
My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
It would help to know what tests that have been done, so that I do not suggest something that has already been done.
Has he been tested for feline leukemia? If the in house, screening "antigen" test is negative, in an anemic kitten, I would also run a test at a lab called IFA for feline leukemia, before doing a bone marrow biopsy.
Has he had a fever at all? Has he been tested for tick and flea borne diseases that can cause anemia?
I always put anemic cats on tetracycline or doxycycline. There are many infectious diseases that cause anemia in cats that respond to this medication. That is another thing I would try before doing a bone marrow biopsy.
Has he been tested for toxoplasmosis, FIP (although FIP is not easy to test for)?
If an IFA test for leukemia, and FIP and Toxo titers have all been done, and he is already on doxycycline, and has not had a fever, then a bone marrow test is probably the next test I would do, if he were mine.
Please let me know what else I can answer, or help with.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rebecca,

He has tested negative for feline leukaemia.

He is an indoor cat and has never been outside.

Apart from the Anaemia he seems completely fine. Even the vet has said he is always running around and wanting played with.

They spoke about doing a second transfusion, but I don't think they will now that the PCV has dropped 2% - If it keeps dropping again I fear there will be a bigger issue.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Was the leukemia test an antigen test, or the IFA test?
Has he been tested for FIP, or any other diseases?
Has doxycycline been tried? Years ago, I sent a cat to a veterinary teaching hospital because she was anemic, and had a transfusion,and was not getting better. The owners spent a lot there, including doing a bone marrow, and no diagnosis was ever definitely decided on by all the experts there. She got completely better once she started on tetracycline.
I never forgot that, and have never not given tetracyclines (these days we use doxycycline or minocycline) to any young anemic cat.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.
Kindly consider rating my answer, but only if all your questions have been answered.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Paul,
How is Zeus doing?
Rebecca