Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

I have a kitten who is approximately 6weeks. She was abandoned

I have a kitten who is approximately 6weeks. She was abandoned and my husband brought her home to me when she was about 4 weeks old. I have been bottle feeding and attempting to get her to eat canned cat food mixed with her kitten milk replacer but am having no luck. She seems healthy, cleans herself but has no interest in anything but her bottle.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

How long have you been trying to introduce the solid food?

Customer:

About a week. i am only feeding her in the morning and at night.

Dr. Susan :

Excellent. And how do you offer the solid food?

Customer:

I have smashed it up and mixed it with her milk replace and put it on my finger for her to lick and have pushed her little mouth in it in the saucer.

Dr. Susan :

Great. I prefer a shallow dish like a saucher.

Dr. Susan :

oops! A saucer.

Dr. Susan :

Mix it with the milk replacer as you have, and continue to offer it before every meal.

Dr. Susan :

Put her in a small confined space with it, like a small dog crate.

Dr. Susan :

She will make a huge mess, walking through it etc.

Dr. Susan :

It will take a while for her to make the transition.

Dr. Susan :

But it will happen. She is at the perfect age to start.

Dr. Susan :

I would expect her to catch on in the next 2 weeks, but she will make quite a mess until then!

Customer:

Ok, i have experienced the mess, she will walk right through it. Do I just wait until she acts very hungry before i give in to the bottle?

Dr. Susan :

Yes, give her a good 15-20 minutes before moving on to the bottle.

Customer:

OK. Thank you for your help.

Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.