Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

If a cat vomits on doxycycline 20mg should you continue to

If a cat vomits on doxycycline 20mg should you continue to give it
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Dave :

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Dr. Dave :

It's good that you are giving the famotidine, but if Schumy continues to vomit, even after giving the famotidine, you may want to ask your veterinarian about another (stronger) antinausea medication called Cerenia. Cerenia is given by mouth once daily. So, I would recommend giving the Cerenia at least 1-2 hours before the first dose of doxycycline each day, and you may have better results. If the vomiting continues even after using Cerenia, then Schumy just may not be able to tolerate doxycycline, and he may a different antibiotic.

Customer:

Am I okay giving 1mg prednisolone tonight. I'm hoping that it will stimulate his appetite

Dr. Dave :

One of the possible side effects of prednisone is vomiting, but if you are not seeing any blood in the vomit, you should be fine giving only 1mg of prednisone to him tonight (1mg is a very small dose, so it's unlikely to cause more problems).

Customer:

He's a tiny cat only 2.1kg.

Dr. Dave :

Thanks for the additional information. 1mg of prednisone would still be unlikely to cause further problems, especially if you are only going to give it tonight.

Customer:

Thank you for that. To be honest I'm restling with whether it is kind to keep him going but on Friday I'm going to see an old vet who I trust much more than the current one who put Schumy into shock 3 days ago...got very upset with three attempts at taking blood was quite rough...urinated himself with the fright..they couldn't get bloods so treating in the dark really. Today after 2 days of fortekor and 1 dose of Doxycycline he seemed to be coming around....not hiding etc but then tonight he's vomited so I'm guessing it's the antibiotic

Dr. Dave :

I agree that it's likely the antibiotic, since doxycycline can commonly cause vomiting.

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** a bit more reassured.