Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat had kittens 2 days ago and she and kittens are fine

My cat had kittens 2 days ago and she and kittens are fine apart from the fact that last night, I saw spots of blood on her bedding . Her vulval area was very red with blood crusted around the sides. She licked all this off during the evening. This morning she has , once again, a small amount of viscous red blood around her vulval area again. She doesn't seem at all bothered by it but I am worried that maybe there is an unborn kitten inside or that she may haemeorrrhage
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today.

Scott Nimmo :

This is a fairly simple question to answer, a small amount of bleeding such as you have seen is quite normal in the first three or four days after a cat has given birth, it should be reducing in amount as each day passes.

Scott Nimmo :

If she is other wise bright and happy and attending to her kittens then the chances are you have nothing to worry about in terms of unborn kittens inside her or retained afterbirth or problems of that nature ...

Scott Nimmo :

Of course if Olga does develop any odd symptoms other than the discharge or if the discharge continues for any length of time then you should have her checked over by your vet just to be on the safe side ...

Customer:

That is a relief. I am planning to be out for a large part of the day but I do have people in the house. I can leave an emergency vet number. She looks extremely healthy as do her kittens. I am just worried that she may suddenly loose a lot more blood and become very ill. From what you say , would you reckon that it will be OK for me to go out. I'll always be able to get home in an hour.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello again, while there can be no guarantees via the internet I can tell you that there is nothing you have told me so far which has caused me any concern, it all sounds quite normal to me. I can see no problems with you going out as long as someone is there to cast an eye on her now and again ....

Customer:

perfect. I will go out and ut contingency plans in place. just one other question. She has had 2 litters before, I I don't remember bleeding then; shold this raise concern?

Scott Nimmo :

Normally the cat will clean herself up very quickly, cats are meticulous, that is probably what happened before ...

Customer:

Yes, she certainly is that. You have put my mind at rest. very helpful and reassuring . Thankyou and have a good day.