Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

stray well-fed and affectionate cat will not go away and keeps

Customer Question

stray well-fed and affectionate cat will not go away and keeps crying and trying to come in through the cat flap. My 2 cats very angry. have closed the cat flap as do not want a cat fight but not sure what to do.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are a couple ways to deal with this common problem. One is to call your local animal control to catch this cat. Since it is affectionate cat, they will be able to find her a good home.

At the pet stores, there re many stray cat deterrents in sprays and ultrasonic devices as wel as cat deterrent tapes. These can be very effective to send this cat else where away from these sprays.

Search your pet stores for these.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. If I buy he spray or other deterrent how will affect my own cats?

HI Maggie...this will not affect your cats since the sprays and other devices are used outside....best to keep your cats inside until the stray cat leaves...this will be quick if it works on the other cat.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks again. I understand that there is not a lot that can be done except to frighten the cat away. My concern is that the cat belongs to someone and perhaps is lost. We do not have animal control as such but I could take it to the RSPCA tomorrow although I am working until late.

Meanwhile my cats are asking to go out - they do not use a littler tray. Perhaps I should not have bothered you but thanks anyway.

Really sorry but I have to go out. Many thanks

HI Maggie....so sad that your cats are so unhappy....it may be worth letting them out and closing the cat door so the other cat cannot come in, In a larger area, they may not fight. Using something like the Ultrasonic deterrent, this may make the other cat find his own home.

Good luck, Maggie....