Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Our cat has been out all night come in covered in what looks

Customer Question

Our cat has been out all night come in covered in what looks like grease guess from were she was hiding from fireworks etc. since this morning our cat has a small dribble from the mouth, the cat has hid away all day not eaten but has had a small amount of cat milk she is at present with us in our living room but still very subdued, is this anything to worry or should I just observe her behaviour, not sure if she has eaten something that isn't good or whether she is just under weather. I have stroke have stroked her a few times throughout the day and she appears to have no tenderness.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Carl, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Lulu.

It's certainly possible that she ate something that she shouldn't have, especially if she's drooling a bit from her mouth. It's also possible that the grease or oil she ingested from grooming might have made her a little nauseous as well.
If you haven't already, I'd give her a bath in Dawn dish washing liquid (the best at removing grease) or any pet shampoo which you have. I wouldn't want to stress her out too much but it will be best to try and remove as much of the material from her fur as possible.

I'm not sure if I'd be terribly worried about her just yet since she was out all night; many cats who pull an all-nighter will be a little more lethargic/subdued the following day.

Other possible explanations for her behavior would be if she's running a fever. If you have a thermometer, you can check. Normal is between 100 and 102.5.
Fevers can be secondary to bacterial infections (such as an abscess) or viruses or even something called Fever of Unknown Origin (which is exactly what it sounds like).

Cats with pancreatitis can also act a little lethargic. This is a condition which can come on suddenly and often we don't have a good explanation as to why. Fluids and anti-pain medication are the usual treatment choices.

Cats who are anemic may be more subdued. I'd check her gum color; if white or bluish, then you may not want to wait to have her seen. But, if they're a pale pink color, this is normal.

Under the circumstances, I might wait another day to see if she bounces back to her normal self, since some cats can also have "off" days.
If she's still behaving this way tomorrow, then a vet visit may be prudent.

I hope this helps and that she's feeling better soon. Deb