Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

What could be the reason for my cat to have been sick on 3occasions

What could be the reason for my cat to have been sick on 3occasions today and has had 2 loose motions, he has been curled up all day and has not moved
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo : Hello and welcome,

This is not an information request but just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is ***** ***** I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo : This sounds like a case of gastroenteritis, this can happen now and againwhere for example a cat has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or has had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has a minor tummy bug.
Scott Nimmo : If this is an uncomplicated case of gastroenteritis then there are some home remedies which some owners use and these can sometimes be effective, stand by and I will give you some examples ..
Scott Nimmo : Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it backslowlyto function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.
Scott Nimmo : Live yogurt added to the food can often help as it works like a probiotic. You see some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your cat's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into his intestinal tract and restore the balance. You would not need to give much, perhaps a couple of teaspoons twice a day ...
Scott Nimmo : But of course other diagnosis are possible other than an uncomplicated gastroenteritis. So of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.
Scott Nimmo : I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Hello again Andrea,
Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of days to check on Jack's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so please get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.
Kindest regards,
Scott
Hello again Andrea,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Jack is getting on.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou for your follow up, jack is back to normal now, in fact, after I contacted you he was looking for food and wanting cuddles, so maybe I over reacted but better safe than sorry!! Thanks again, Andrea