Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My mother has recently taken a rescue cat in, the cat is a

My mother has recently taken a rescue cat in, the cat is a 10 year old neutered tom!. He is a house cat has never been outdoors, he recently has began being sick all over the bungalow, which in my mum's case isn't ideal because she has impaired vision!. The cat has three meals a day, plenty of water is provided, he runs away from my mother in fact from anyone!. He is not aggressive can be handled when you catch him, he uses his litter tray well, it's just the sickness that has my mum worried!!, Any advice would be most appreciated!!.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did this start?
How often is he being sick?
Is it just after meals?

Do you know what the vomit looks like (ie bile, froth, food, etc)?

Any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It started yesterday according to my mum, he is being sick frequently, don't know if it's just after meals!, what I saw was mainly food, don't know about diarrhea!. Have just tried phoning my mum for more info but phones engaged!!

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
No worries Philip,

If it does look like food mostly, can you tell me how long she has had him?
And is she feeding wet food or kibble?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think she's had him 3 weeks, he gets wet food whiskers in jelly!!.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, Philip.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, vomiting in cats can be triggered by a range of issues. The reason I asked about his diet and his length of time with her is because we will sometimes see rescue/stray kitties vomit food due to eating too quickly. This tends to be rooted in their past experiences when food was limited and they needed to eat as much as possible when they could (but when doing so with 3 square meals the stomach ends up overfilled and hence the vomiting). And this could play a role here since he may be starting to settle in enough to gobble his meals; especially as an adult cat only needs to be fed twice daily. So, the first step here would be to have your mum try to feed him just twice daily. Or if he is gobbling his food very fast before any one can get near, she may need to feed multiple smaller meals or make him take a break during those 2 daily meals (ie by giving 25%-50% of the meal, then make him wait 20-30minutes before giving more). If the vomiting is due to this behavior, then this will help avoid this situation and halt vomiting from this cause.

Otherwise, we do have to start considering health reasons for vomiting. Just as in people, cats can experience vomiting for a range of reasons. This includes bacterial GI infection, viral disease, parasitic infestations, pancreatitis, inflammatory disease, immune mediated sensitivities, metabolic conditions (diabetes, hyperthyroidism), organ troubles (kidney, liver), and/or foreign material ingestion (the last one hopefully less likely for him, as we'd hope he is wiser in his older age).

With these in mind, we could consider some supportive care to see if the vomiting can be settled. To start, she can offer him small meals of a
light/easily digestible diet to see if the vomiting can be settled. Easily digestible diets can sometimes just take enough of the work away from the gut and settle any vomiting. Examples of this would be boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets like Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity.

Further to this, we can try addressing any underlying nausea with antacid therapy. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly that can help settle his stomach. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). These are usually given 20 minutes before food (to allow absorption) but if he is shy then she may need to put it in a small bit of food to get it into him. Of course, she will want to double check with your vet if your kitty has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications.

Overall, there are a range of reasons that an older kitty can start vomiting. From your history and these food vomits with a cat that sounds to be eating well, I would be suspicious that he may be overindulging and we just need to offer smaller meals with breaks. That said, since he sounds to be a bit stressed opportunistic infections would also be a concern here. Therefore, if she tries giving smaller meals with intermissions and he doesn't settle; the above supportive care could be initiated. And of course, if he doesn't settle or starts to go off his food; then we'd want to consider a check-up with her vet (perhaps the rescue shelter will cover costs of this since she did just take him on) to make sure there is nothing more sinister afoot for wee Bobby Sox.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.