Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 15 year old male cat had taken to vocalising a lot, particularly

Customer Question

My 15 year old male cat had taken to vocalising a lot, particularly when in his litter tray. Last wednesday he fell from the window ledge in the living room, hanging on by his front paws I caught him..then he had a dreadful attack which I think must have been a seizure on thursday night at 1.0a.m. He howled and the inside roof of his mouth looked white not pink and he was breathless so i guess there was not circulation. I held him gently throughout and thought i might loose him then but he pulled through, purred very loudly afterwards( vibrations to try to heal himself) and he has rested up all weekend,he hugs the fire and i keep him nice and warm. ...I went straight to the vet on friday after the attack and we have metacam anti inflammatory drops..These seem to have relieved his distress.He can walk about and with encouragement he is eating- and wanting to eat from my hand...mainly chicken.then he fell down the step on Sunday landing with his bum in the water bowl poor boy, this was soon after I got in at lunchtime.Today he also has had a coughing fit. ( those started a while back and I thought it must just be fur balls, but it is a dry cough and does not sound quite like a fur ball cough..I am worried he has lung cancer..I think i can nurse him back to health from the stroke but what should I do? He is very loving and needy now, holds on to me with his claws, but not always comfy and likes being in the wardrobe with all my shoes.He must feel confused after a stroke but he is rallying- I don't want him to suffer, he really is the best of cats and neither do I want to be parted yet and neither does he...please can you help- i don't want to stress him with a long trip to the homeopathic vet but....?? Thanky uo for your consideration. Best ReGgads Stella
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

I am quite worried about Jaadu based on your story. My top concern is that he does have a primary cerebral (brain) issue. At his age our top concerns would be a stroke-type event (as you suggested), liver disease (causing high ammonia levels), another organ issue (such as kidney disease with hypertensive neuropathy) or a tumor. Being optimistic that it is a stroke type event then he should slowly improve over the next week. If he worsens (as I am worried it sounds) then this could be a more serious problem like brain tumor or organ failure.

Did your veterinarian do any testing on him. If he was my patient at a minimum I would recommend some screening lab work that included a CBC, chemistry profile, urine check and thyroid screen along with a blood pressure check. This would give us a baseline to work from. If all is normal then we do circle back to this probably being a primary brain issue.

Dr. Joey :

As to your question what you can do at home for a stroke-type event, then answer is what you are doing already. You must prevent him from injuring himself (i.e., falling) and keep him eating. Tempt him with all of his favorite foods but only resort to force feeding if he goes 2-3 days without eating, although I do not at all advocate you allow him to go that long without eating. Make sure his litterbox is easy for him to get into/out of and that his food/water are easily accessible.

Dr. Joey :

As a side note I do hope he had his kidney and liver values checked before he started on metacam since this can dramatically worsen disease of either organ.

Dr. Joey :

If he is not eating well on his own, then you can speak with your vet about using an appetite stimulant, or if he seems nauseated by food to use a drug that might address this.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Joey, In answer to your question.Jaadu had kidney and liver function test prior to consulting you..they are fine. My questions are about possible diagnoses: what do pancreatic cancer symptoms look like,also heart disease? And, do you deal with homeopathic remedies? Mr J has turned a big corner for the better, it has been exhausting but totally worth it, he is calm and still takes an interest in life, my other cat sometimes washes his ears. I still do not have a proper diagnosis. For sure, he got fed up when I went on holiday early in august but my cousin was here looking after the cats...but he may have got depressed. I put rescue remedy on his head several times a day and a dab of french lavender oil to relax him. He can eat on his own, a mix of his usual food and a few biscuits, after some liquid food, an appetite stimulant would be good. He rests lots but walks normally and his spirit is so strong...no more 'attacks, howls or flops since last wednesday! He does not head push like typical brain tumour -just occasionally puts his head downwards when sleeping, as if he has a headache.. he vomited a big fur ball yesterday and i wonder if there are more, he has been brighter in mood since, doing lots of washing and certainly maintaining his dignity..it is like a miracle.. but he cannot be on metacam forever can he? If he eventually goes, i want this to be dying well and compassionately, as if in his sleep..but he is not ready for that by any means....what do you think i can do?