Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

my cat is 14yrs and he's got direner and keeps drinking water

Customer Question

my cat is 14yrs and he's got direner and keeps drinking water can you give me some advice please
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Is her only symptom that she is having increased water intake right now? Any other issues such as vomit/diarrhea, coughing, breathing problems, or longer-term issues like weight loss or poor coat quality, etc?

JACUSTOMER-vjg39e87- :

lost weight and diarrhea

Dr. Joey :

This really is quite concerning. When we put all the symptoms together with her age they could indicate one of several possible problems that range from chronic kidney insufficiency to diabetes mellitus to hyperthyroidism to cancer. These are clear indications that she really needs to be seen this week by her veterinarian. IF she was my patient after an exam I would recommend doing some screening lab work (CBC, chemistry profile, urine check and thyroid screen) to try to rule out some of these problems. Some are treatable (hyperthyroidism, diabetes) and some are manageable.

JACUSTOMER-vjg39e87- :

and drinking a lot as well

JACUSTOMER-vjg39e87- :

thankyou I will get in touch with pdsa in Nottingham

JACUSTOMER-vjg39e87- :

no that's all thankyou

Dr. Joey :

I did take into account the increased water consumption and the most common causes are the diabetes or kidney issues, although we do see this with other issues like a UTI.You are most welcome.

Dr. Joey :

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

JACUSTOMER-vjg39e87- :

I will and thankyou

Dr. Joey :

I am going to exit but do not forget you can reply to this at any time with more questions or an update (I am very curious to find out what the visit to your veterinarian reveals). Kindly don't forget to submit a rating as you exit.