Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Seeing blood in the stools of our cat. What should be the course

Customer Question

Seeing blood in the stools of our cat. What should be the course of action please
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had blood in her stools?

How much blood are you seeing?

Are Lily's stools loose to normal?

How is she otherwise?

Any vomiting, change in appetite, thirst, weight or activity?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the response.

Only seen blood this week in loose stools. Blood volume 3-4ml only. Cat otherwise appears perfectly well in all respects

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, Paul.

I am glad to see that Lily is otherwise well in herself and that this has not been a longer term issue for her. Now when we see blood with the feces, there can be a range of culprits to blame. Since you have noted only a small volume of blood associated with loose feces, we'd be less concerned about issues like rectal growths or anal gland disease. Instead, we'd need to focus on conditions that wound irritate the lower bowel (where the blood is arising from). Specifically, we can see this with parasitic infection (ie whipworms), inflammation or infection of the colon (colitis).

In regards ***** ***** approach here, the first step would be to consider worming her if you have not done so in the past month as this would remove the concern of parasitic causes. Ideally, we'd want to use Panacur, Drontal or Milbemax as it will cover all the worms in question and rule them out as the cause for her signs. These are available over the counter at the vets, pet stores, and some pharmacies. Do make sure you have an idea of her weight before purchasing, so you make sure to get the right dose for her size.

From there, we'd next want to address and rule out inflammatory colitis. To settle inflammatory colitis, we can often settle these with a light/easily digestible diet. (Though bacterial induced colitis will often require antibiotic treatment). Examples of bland diets would be boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or meat baby food (avoid those with garlic powder in the ingredients) There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like this (ie Hill’s I/D (LINK) or Royal Canin Sensitivity Control LINK)). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. We usually will try them on the diet for a week until signs settle, and then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.

So, I would advise the above approach for Lily since she is otherwise well in herself. If you try this and she doesn't settle within a few days then we'd want to follow up with her vet at that stage to rule out possible bacterial causes for these signs of colonic irritation. If this is suspected, then do consider bringing in a fecal sample with you for evaluation. The vet will be able to examine your kitty, assess her hydration, and if necessary the fecal sample can be sent to the lab for evaluation to identify the agent responsible. Her vet can also cover her with broad spectrum antibiotics to clear the common colitis triggering agents. So, I'd not be alarmed by her subtle signs but would suggest ruling out the parasitic differential by treating for with a wormer that will address whipworms today and trial her with an easily digestible diet for inflammatory colitis. But if that doesn't settle this for her then we do want to have her seen by her vet to make sure there is nothing more sinister afoot.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )