Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

cat 10 yrs old suddenly taken to eating cat litter on ocasions

cat 10 yrs old suddenly taken to eating cat litter on ocasions no other problems apparent eating and drinking normally
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

This is what is termed Pica, this is when animals suddenly start to eat non food items such as dirt etc, form them to eat cat litter is something I have dealt with now and again.

Scott Nimmo :

This can happen because of some underlying disease or it can also happen as a sign of senility, but Nemo is only ten so this is likely not the cause or very often it happens for no obvious reason

Scott Nimmo :

So how to handle it? : Well the my usual approach would be to have a thorough clinical examination and perhaps a blood test to rule out any obvious disease issues, if that comes back as clear then I would simply change the cat little to another brand which is very different in terms of texture and appearance from the one you are using at present.

Scott Nimmo :

Eating cat litter in itself is not dangerous as long as only small amounts are involved but if it becomes a habit and larger amounts are consumed then there is a danger of intestinal tract blockage.

Scott Nimmo :

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott