Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Hi My 20 year old cat has recently started meowing much more

My 20 year old cat has recently started meowing much more that she used to.
I cant get her to a vet as she becomes very aggressive so much so that the last time my father in law who lives with us tried to lift her she bit and scratched him and he got infected and had to get treatment.
She has only ever been to the vet once as a kitten to get neutered and even then she bit the vet and literaly ran around the walls of the surgery.
She is eating and drinking normally although her weeing in her tray which is cleaned every day continually goes over the edge has destroyed our wooden floor where it sits.
Can you let me know if there is a way of perhaps sedating her through her food to allow us to get her looked at by a vet
Thanks in advance
Frances
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

I have a few suggestions.

Dr. Susan :

I don't think that oral sedation will be helpful.

Dr. Susan :

It is very unreliable, and I also think she would detect the taste and avoid any pills.

Dr. Susan :

Instead, I would consider making an appointment with a housecall vet and let them know that they will likely require quick and injectable sedation with her.

Dr. Susan :

If you want to try to get her to your regular vet, you can try to put her in a pillow case.

Dr. Susan :

This is effective for many of my aggressive patients.

Dr. Susan :

After they are in the pillow case, it is much easier to handle them.

Dr. Susan :

You can even put the pillow case into a carrier for safety travelling in the car.

Dr. Susan :

I think these would be the safest two options for everyone involved.

Customer:

She is not a petty cat and has never sat on my lap , she allows you to clap her but that is it , she has never been lifted.

Customer:

I do not have a regular vet as it has been 20 years since her last visit although I am sure I could find one on line.

Dr. Susan :

No problem. Perhaps a housecall vet would be our best option.

Dr. Susan :

I think it would be a good idea to have some senior blood work checked.

Dr. Susan :

I'm suspicious she might have hyperthyroidism. This is one of the more common causes of increased vocalization in older kitties.

Customer:

Is this something that is treatable ?

Dr. Susan :

Yes. It can be treated with oral tablet, oral liquid or a transdermal lotion.

Dr. Susan :

The tablet might be a good option, they are tasteless and can be crushed and hidden in food.

Customer:

Thank you for your help it is much appreciated

Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.