Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Is 5 months old too young for a kitten to be spayed?

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are curious if 5 months of age is too young to be spayed.
The short answer is no, we routinely spay healthy 5 month old kittens all of the time.
That is the best way of preventing pregnancy if there is an intact male in the home, and avoiding going through a heat cycle, which can be quite miserable for all. By avoiding her going into heat we can prevent an unplanned pregnancy. Cats can be quite determined to get out and find a mate when they are in heat.
That said we do want to make sure that the kitten is growing well and is very healthy otherwise. Of course we would not want to spay an underweight kitten or one that had a respiratory infection or was otherwise sick.
Many humane organizations are spaying kittens even younger as a way to have them spayed before they go to their new homes. They are spaying kittens as young as 8 to 12 weeks and the youngsters do very well.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.