Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

Our cat is 17 years old. About eighteen months ago he went

Customer Question

Our cat is 17 years old. About eighteen months ago he went missing for a week and came home extremely dehydrated. We thought he was going to die but he was treated by the vet and had all bar one of his teeth taken out. He now eats like a horse but is very bony, although we do worm him. He is happy and friendly (a character change as he was always very timid ! ). His black coat has , in the last week or so, begun to turn gingery brown at the ends. is this symptomatic of something ? Thank you
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

WOW! Issy is a really tough guy! These symptoms that you describe, are typical for a hyperthyroid condition, common in older cats. There is a simple test to check for this and treatment is generally simple and effective. It is important that you find out if Issy has this because if this condition is left untreated, it can be very damaging to his organs. Have Issy checked soon!

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks . We will take him to the vet , Id wondered if it was just old age so didnt want to distress him by taking him unecessarily.

Karen

I certainly understand, Karen but I really think it is worth the stress on Issy to get this test done...Good luck, Karen...he sounds like a fighter!
Thank you so much, Karen, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Issy will be well.

Have a wonderful day!