Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Cat has lost a lot of weight; has frequent, very pale, sloppy

Customer Question

Cat has lost a lot of weight; has frequent, very pale, sloppy motions. Projectile vomited across kitchen green/yellow slime including last meal. Has licked fur from lower tummy and inside of back legs over last weeks or so. Seems to be getting thinner every day, can feel ribs, backbone etc. Seems listless but eyes are not hooded yet. Will eat small portions of certain cat foods (Felix with Sauce - small pieces & lots of moisture).
Husband away & difficult to get into cat carrier but would try if he must go immediately to Vet. Stray who joined us through cat flap at approx. 3 years of age (Vet's guess) in 2005.
Last had blood tests for weight loss earlier this year -'clear'. Insured but don't want to inflict more treatments if will only prolong his discomfort ultimately.
Will not take tablets, even crushed in food. Help!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Chunky.

Rebecca :

I am concerned about him as well, from your description.

Rebecca :

These symptoms could be from many things: pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, cancer, liver disease.

Rebecca :

Licking the fur off his tummy may indicate internal pain.

Rebecca :

If you look at his gums, are they a normal bright pink color?

Rebecca :

There may be treatment, if he has something like pancreatitis or inflammatory bowel disease. The only way to find out is to get a diagnosis of the problem.

JACUSTOMER-ou4cx498- :

Cannot get to him to open his mouth - that's why I cannot administer tablets.

Rebecca :

I would start with a good physical exam: feeling the internal organs, feeling for internal tumors, checking gum color, listening to his heart.

Rebecca :

You can just lift his lip to look at his gums, you don't have to open his mouth. But don't attempt it if he might bite you.

JACUSTOMER-ou4cx498- :

Right, I guess I'll take him to the Vet tomorrow then if I can get a lift.

Rebecca :

The weight loss really worries me. If you can feel his ribs and backbone, he is possibly seriously ill.

Rebecca :

Until you can get him to a vet, try to get him to take liquids, to stay hydrated.

Rebecca :

Try broth, or tuna juice, as well as water.

JACUSTOMER-ou4cx498- :

I have low dose aspirin (daily, enteric coated), any point in dissolving some in his water to ease any pain? Is it safe for cats? I guessed the licking indicated pain in his lower abdomen. Feel so helpless.

Rebecca :

If he is vomiting, aspirin is not recommended.

Rebecca :

But if he is vomiting, the aspirin may irritate or cause bleeding of the lining of the stomach.

JACUSTOMER-ou4cx498- :

Right, I'll just keep giving him the liquid from pouches of food and fluid from cans of tune - he may eat some of the meat also. Thanks for your help. I knew it was probably serious but I just don't want hm to suffer if there is anything I can do meanwhile.

Rebecca :

It does not really dissolve in water either.

Rebecca :

I think all you can safely do at home is get liquids into him.

Rebecca :

Let me know what else I can answer, or help with.

Rebecca :

I will be checking back to see how he is doing.

JACUSTOMER-ou4cx498- :

OK, I'll keep trying that and get him to the Vet a.s.a.p tomorrow. Hope he sleeps as much as possible meanwhile. He used to weight 8 jg but I would guess he is less that2 kg know. He was a large,glossy, beautiful boy so he has deteriorated badly over the last year or so, but more rapidly recently.

Rebecca :

I am worried for him, too. This sounds serious.

JACUSTOMER-ou4cx498- :

Thanks for your help. Sorry for spelling mistakes due my haste.

Rebecca :

No problem!

Rebecca :

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Rebecca :

I am here in live chat, until you close it by rating my answer.

Rebecca :

So let me know what other questions you have.

JACUSTOMER-ou4cx498- :

OK. I'll let you know what Vet says but I know they'll say 'bring him back & we'll keep him for more blood tests', which will traumatise him further. Oh well, what else can I do? Thanks again, I knew really it was serious after that vomit.

Rebecca :

Yes. I hope you get answers tomorrow.

Rebecca :

The physical exam is where to start.

Rebecca :

That may give you some answers right away.

JACUSTOMER-ou4cx498- :

As you would have no interest in prolonging his treatment, would you recommend inflicting any surgical procedures if recommended. I don't want him to siffer & financially it doesn't matter as he is insured since I got him and have only claimed once for blood tests. Had another cat operated on twice for thyroid ops and he suffered unnecessarily after the 2nd and had fits which were so distressing for us and him, we had him euthanized in the end so don't want to go through all that ort of thing again. Thanks so much again. I shan't keep you any longer.

Rebecca :

Honestly, he sounds too sick to endure any surgery or anesthesia.

Rebecca :

If he were mine, I would be trying to find out what is wrong, and if it can be treated medically. If a tumor is felt, or blood tests show significant disease, it might be kindest to let him go.

JACUSTOMER-ou4cx498- :

OK. That's what I think also. It will be hard but I will do the right thing, we have years of fun & love with him so will only do what is kindest. He has chased foxes & dogs out of the gareden for us so it is very distressing to see him so weak & listless now.

Rebecca :

I would not put a cat this sick through any invasive tests or treatments.

Rebecca :

I can imagine; he sounds like a shadow of his former self.

JACUSTOMER-ou4cx498- :

OK. I agree, just blood tests & physical exam then?

Rebecca :

I would start with the exam. If blood tests are indicated, that is not invasive. X-rays would not be putting him through a lot.

JACUSTOMER-ou4cx498- :

Ok, I understand. Hope I get an appointment tomorrow and get somewhere. Will let you know.

JACUSTOMER-ou4cx498- :

Thanks again & Bye.

Rebecca :

You are welcome.

Rebecca :

Kindly consider rating my answer, but only when all your questions have been answered.

Rebecca :

I will be checking back with you to see how he is, and what you find out.

JACUSTOMER-ou4cx498- :

Will do. Doing so now then signing off.

Rebecca :

JACUSTOMER-ou4cx498- :

Bless you.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the bonus; much appreciated.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Pat,
How is Chunky? What have you learned?

Rebecca