Cats
Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with domestic cats and show specimens alike.
76153631

My cat is being sick, has dioreah with blood in it and seems

Customer Question

My cat is being sick, has dioreah with blood in it and seems to be goose stepping with all 4 legs, hat could be the cause
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cats replied 2 years ago.
Cats : Hi there, vet Andrew here. I'm sorry Chester is not well.
Cats : 1. Is his belly swollen?
Cats : 2. Does he have a high temperature?
Cats : I gather from the information you've provided that his temp is high, but would like to make sure.
Cats : 3. Does he mix with other cats in the neighbourhood?
Cats : I see you're offline, but given the information provided, and on the understanding that I can't diagnise remotely, it sounds like Chester has FIP, or Feline Infectious Peritonitis. If there's one disease I really hate to see in cats it's this one. It seems to be caused by a virus, but we can't agree which one is the culprit, hence there is no definitive diagnostic test or cure.
Cats : There are two forms, dry and wet. The wet form generally causes fluid to accumulate on the abdomen, hence my first question. My hunch is that Chester has the dry form. It causes inflammation, particularly in the bowel and brain, leading to the signs that you see.
Cats : Treatment involves antibiotics, steroids such as prednisolone, and supportive care. The latter means recovery diets, and ntravenous fluids (drips). I strongly recommend he is hospitalised to give him the best chance of survival. In the meantime, keep any other cats away from him and take all hygienic precautions when handling him. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Cats : If you have any questions please post them to this thread.
JACUSTOMER-4b8pycr9- :

Morning

Cats : Hi, just checking in to see how you're doing with Chester. Has there been any improvement or developments?