Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

hi, recently i discovered my cat has caught fleas, i used frontline

hi, recently i discovered my cat has caught fleas, i used frontline about a week ago and they are still there? frontline say they should be gone in 48 hours, but it hasn't changed much. can i use another pipette of frontline? thanks
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 12 years.
Frontline kills 3 stages of fleas (adults, eggs, and larva), but does not kill the pupa stage. No flea products do... So once you get fleas in your environment it can take 3 months for all the pupa to be gone and during that time new adult fleas can continue to emerge. However, these adult fleas should die quickly and you should not be seeing too many of them on your cat. If the frontline is working they should be dying quickly after landing on your cat.
If that is not happening then the frontline is not working... either it wasn't absorbed well or it just isn't working. There can be fleas that have resistance to some products. You can either reappy the frontline (it is safe to reapply after a week) or you can try another product. If I think fleas are resistant to frontline I like to try Advantage.
I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know.
Dr. Stacy