Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

Are there any side affects for a cat from having a rabies vaccination

Are there any side affects for a cat from having a rabies vaccination ? The cat was ill treated until rescued he has lost an eye and many teeth and is about ten years old
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Dave :

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Dr. Dave :

Is your cat showing any abnormal symptoms at this time?

Customer:

No symptoms at all. This is just a general enquiry before we decide to go ahead or is it better not to put hlm though any stress

Dr. Dave :

Great - thanks for the additional information. After getting a rabies vaccine, most cats will act completely normal, as if nothing happened. But, side effects (which are considered normal) can include a mild fever, lethargy, decreased appetite, or mild pain where the injection was given. The side effects generally occur in the first day after the vaccine is given, and no treatment is typically needed. Rare, but more serious side effects include repeated vomiting, swollen face, breathing problems, very itchy and aggitated, or collapse -- again, these are quite rare, especially in cats. The last set of symptoms I mentioned occur with an allergic reaction, and would need to be treated by a veterinarian.

Dr. Dave :

So, even though side effects are possible, I would HIGHLY recommend getting the rabies vaccine for Teddy, as rabies is a fatal viral infection, and is usually required by law, depending on where you live.

Dr. Dave :

Please let me know if I can assist you and Teddy further.