Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hello 8 weeks ago my 1.5 year old cat got hit by a car..we

Hello 8 weeks ago my 1.5 year old cat got hit by a car..we think. She spent 3 weeks admitted at vets n needed an external fixator on her back leg and on same leg needed her ball part of her hip joint removed as dislocated and wouldn't pop back in....she's doing great and due to have her fixator removed on Wednesday if X-rays all ok and all been ok on her weekly checkups
Question I'm asking isn't to do with her leg but may be related in odd way
She has suddenly started drooling. Long dangly ones like on a slobbery dog, I took a picture in to nurse at vets and she said unless any other symptoms it could probably wait until she in on Wednesday to have her bolts removed. I'm just wondering if as a vet you think she should see a vet before then. She hasn't been on any medication for couple of weeks now n before that she was on an anti inflammatory 3.5 dose to match her weight...do t have name and was on antibiotics 2 weeks. She spent 3 weeks admitted at vets as delay doing fixator few days as she had open wound n then a delay before hip operation. She doing fine and no problems with hip or fixator and has had weekly check ups. She been having lead walk exercises fir hip n rest for leg break. She just suddenly started drooling.....it only seams to start when she lays down for a snooze...not whilst walking around. She had a wet face yesterday but thought maybe she had got it wet in her water drinking fountain but now think it because of her thick drooling
Any advice greatly appreciated, just wondering if as a vet you see a red flag n should maybe book her in to see a vet before her Wednesday appointment
Jo n spooky
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello Jo, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Spooky hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

If Spooky is otherwise acting normally, then I wouldn't necessarily think that she would need to be seen sooner than Wednesday....and that's great that she's doing so well after her trauma.

When it comes to hypersalivation, there could be several different reasons.

1.Problems in the mouth such as an infected tooth, ulcers, abscesses, foreign body. It is possible that a good oral exam will reveal the problem or sedation may be necessary to adequately examine the mouth. Usually, but not always, these cats will also have a reduced appetite or might be pawing at their mouths.

2. Nausea for any reason. Systemic diseases such as kidney disease or inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) can cause cats to feel nauseous. It wouldn't be likely that she has a serious systemic problem but IBD can be seen in any aged cat although it's often difficult to diagnose without a biopsy (understandably something that most owners are reluctant to have done).

3. Ingestion of any noxious substance that they might have groomed off of her bodies (such as flea/tick products) or anything that they might have licked.

4. In very young cats, a liver shunt can cause this problem but while possible, it's fairly rare.

5.Early upper respiratory infection or Calici virus.This virus can attack the mucous membranes in the mouth and create ulcers on the hard palate and tongue; they are very painful. If Spooky starts to sneeze or develop a nasal/eye discharge, then this is fairly diagnostic.

5.Spontaneous.In some cats, we can’t find an explanation and they will spontaneously stop drooling and we won’t have had any idea why they started in the first place.

One option for you to consider for her would be over teh counter Famotidine (Pepcid AC) at a dose of ¼ of a 10 mg tablet twice a day although this drug may be difficult to find in the UK. Another option would be Omeprazole (Prilosec) at a dose of 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet once a day.

I hope this helps and that the excessive salivation resolves in a short period of time. Again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb

Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Joanne:
I just wanted to thank you for the rating and bonus; they're greatly appreciated.

And, I also wanted to wish you the best with Spooky. I hope you'll stay in touch and let me know what your vet thinks may be going on with him (if he's still drooling). Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you.

Best of luck with him. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.