Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

all my four cats are not eating and are chattering their teeth

all my four cats are not eating and are chattering their teeth and have runny noses their lips appear to black
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Epidemiologically speaking, if all 4 pets in a household are exhibiting the same symptoms either an infectious and contagious disease is present or all 4 have been intoxicated by the same chemical - an insecticide or household product. Their sneezing and runny noses, however, suggest upper respiratory infection which is usually caused by the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) although the calicivirus which can cause oral ulcers should also be considered due to the presence of teeth chattering - an indication of pain. Black lips are caused by lentigo - a cosmetic pigmentary change - and should be unrelated to their other symptoms.

It would be prudent to take the most badly affected cat to your vet to see if the infection could be clarified. Supplemental fluids in the form of subcutaneous therapy by needle and feeding with a convalescent food such as Hill's a/d is likely to be prescribed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.