Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

my cat is excessively washing herself and bitting at

Customer Question

my cat is excessively washing herself and bitting at her front leg, her breath smells, and while stroking her to calm her she turned to bite me, not like her at all, she just wants to lay on cold surfaces and not in her bed anymore
she is very over weight and been on a diet to try to reduce it, but no matter what we try its not working, I always weigh out her food so she is getting the correct amount for her diet , she will not play just sleeps and lays around, even with all the new toys and play things for her with cat nip she is not interested, she is 9 years old
please can you help me I just don't know what to do
thank you
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

Have you had her in to a vet recently? Any recent blood work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes she was at the vets about 6 weeks ago for her programme injection and weigh in, she has had bloods done about 9 months ago all clear

Okay. A lot can change in 9 months in an older cat, so I would recommend rechecking blood work. Cold-seeking could be a sign of a fever, or of hyperthyroidism (common in older cats), or of possible diabetes. She may also just be having arthritis pain in her front leg, and that can cause cats to groom excessively and not act normal. I would discuss these things with your vet and go from there... there is not much you can do to help this at home.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.