Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

I adopted a kitten from the RSPCA 8 days ago. He is now 9 weeks

I adopted a kitten from the RSPCA 8 days ago. He is now 9 weeks old. He seems a cheerful, active little chap with no obvious health problems.
However, I have noticed that he has a small lump on his back. It's just below his shoulder blades, a little to one side. It doesn't seem to be attached to his spine, and it doesn't appear to be hurting him.
I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow, but I would value an opinion now. Could it be the sight of an injection, or a displaced disc?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

Can you describe the size of the lump that you are feeling?

Customer:

It's about the size of a small pea.

Dr. Susan :

Do you know if he is microchipped?

Customer:

Yes, he was microchipped by the RSPCA

Dr. Susan :

It is possible that what you are feeling is the microchip with some fibrous tissue around it.

Dr. Susan :

They can scan him at the vet tomorrow and determine if that might be the case.

Dr. Susan :

You are also correct in thinking that it might be a local reaction to a vaccine injection.

Dr. Susan :

We can also see these, appearing as much as 1 week after the vaccine.

Dr. Susan :

Generally these will resolve on their own within one month. If they persist or seem to be getting larger, then I get concerned that we should investigate further.

Dr. Susan :

We would not be able to palpate a disc like that, so no worries about his spine.

Dr. Susan :

This is very likely a benign issue.

Dr. Susan :

Can I answer further questions for you?

Customer:

Bill had his vaccination on 17th of November, so that's well over a week ago. I will take him to the vet tomorrow. Thank you very much for your advice, it's put my mind at rest.

Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.