Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

I have two 7 year old tom cats from the same litter. One of

Customer Question

I have two 7 year old tom cats from the same litter. One of them (Pepper) has developed a habit of peeing at strategic places around the house. He seems to be quite a nervious cay and doesn't like strangers at all. He's also on medication to slow his heart rate down too. I've tried to train him to pee in the usual tray which is cleaned every other day. Pepper gets on well with his twin tom cat Chilli, and they're into mutual sleeping & washing.
Chilli, the more dominant & larger of the two is not necessarily the bully, but I don't know what happens in the early hours though.
How can I train Pepper to pee in his tray instead of at the bottom of the steps or under the kitchen table?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

From what you have told me, it appears that Pepper is suffering from some type of stress that has caused this inappropriate elimination. This could be due to a territorial issue or some other stress. The first thing to do is to have your vet examine Pepper to be sure there is not a medical reason for this behavior. If this is ruled out, the next thing you need to do is to purchase from any pet store a product called Feliway. This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will discourage this bad behavior. Follow the directions on the bottle. Next, make sure to change all litter boxes to different places especially where there is little traffic. Keep these boxes extremely clean.

Try using different types of litter and make sure to clean these areas with an odor eliminator such as Nature’s Miracle.

Use aluminum foil or double sided tape in the problem areas which may discourage using these spots.

If this is not sufficient, your vet has medication that can help with this problem and, if used along with the Feliway, hopefully, will be successful. These medications are antianxiety drugs such as Fluoxetine or Clomipramine. Here is a website that has more tips:
www.petplace.com/cats/inappropriate-elimination/page1.aspx

Click CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site.

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat-behavior-problem-medications

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****