Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Hi our cat is 10 years old he is covered in small scabs a vet

Hi our cat is 10 years old he is covered in small scabs a vet told us it was fleas allergy . We have put spot on, and front line, but it is no better, we have 3 other cats they have no problem, he eats well but he is always scratching and looks very miserable.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

Poor little Peter!

Dr. Susan :

Did your vet actually spot a live flea or flea dirt on him during the appointment?

Dr. Susan :

If so, it is certainly possible that he has a flea allergy.

Dr. Susan :

The other cats in the home could be exposed to fleas, but if they don't have an allergy, you won't see the same severe itching.

Dr. Susan :

A single flea bite can cause significant itching, sometimes to the point of damaging the skin.

Dr. Susan :

Aside from a flea allergy, another possibility would be a food allergy.

Dr. Susan :

Unfortunately, there is no good test for a food allergy. We simply change the food to a hypoallergenic diet.

Dr. Susan :

This has to be very strict for a full 12-16 weeks.

Dr. Susan :

With 4 cats total, it would probably be easiest just to switch all of the cats over.

Dr. Susan :

Prior to a diet change, we could also simply try an oral steroid like prednisolone.

Dr. Susan :

If he has flea allergies, he should feel much better right away.

Dr. Susan :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.