Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 3 year old cat has stopped eating and drinking for 2 days

My 3 year old cat has stopped eating and drinking for 2 days licking lips and hidding
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

Scott Nimmo :

Home remedies for cats showing these symptoms are unfortunately not usually effective ...

Scott Nimmo :

The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet I would say from the fact that your cat has no interest in food and water and is hiding { lethargic } that it is possible that she is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection.

Scott Nimmo :

I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if your cat is indeed running a temperature, but you should be aware that other diagnosis are also possible.

Scott Nimmo :

In the meantime all you can do is to try and keep your cat comfortable and reassured and try and make sure she? is taking fluids orally if possible until you can get her to a vet ...

Scott Nimmo :

Cats are hard to treat at home because almost all of the human over the counter remedies which you can safely use in dogs are very toxic to them ...

Scott Nimmo :
I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have just taken my cat to the vet and he was very difficult to examine, but they managed to take his temperature which was a bit high, they gave him a pain killer and antibiotic injection and said to go back tomorrow. I have noticed he keeps licking his lips , what would give him a temperture
Hello again,
Very glad to talk this over with you further,
When a cat has a high temperature they can sometimes get a bit dehydrated and this can cause the licking of the lips. At other times some viral infections can cause oral ulceration and this will certainly cause this symptom.
Hopefully the antibiotics will quickly get the situation under control.
Regards,
Scott
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }