Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Hello have a cat here flat only don't let him out he's 5 years

Customer Question

Hello have a cat here flat only don't let him out he's 5 years old ginger called Tigger...how do I stop him getting bored about 5 am...!he wakes us up all the time and then work is very hard!...thinking of isolating him in the living room with litter and scratch post food and water...and close the door...is this fair to him?!....now he can roam around in the night and of course he wants my attention lol....please advise if you can...thank you!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry you are having problems with Tigger.
I am a veteinarian, and will do my best to help.
What time do you feed him? If he is used to being fed as soon as you get up, he will start waking you earlier and earlier. It is important not to feed him when you first get up: move about, get tea, check email, then after 30 minutes or so, feed him.
Try to ignore him when he tried to wake you. Any response: talking to him, petting him, etc. are positive reinforcements, and actually "reward" him for waking you.
Check out this website about indoor cats. Indoor cats need extra stimulation, to satisfy their prey drive and natural curiosity and playfulness. This website offers suggestions, such as interactive toys, and toys that you put dry cat food morsel into and when the cat plays with it, bits of food fall out at random intervals.
http://indoorpet.osu.edu/cats/
Catnip can also help keep him stimulated, and distracted.
Let me know what else I can answer, or help with.
Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating!
Rebecca