Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

my male cat that has been neuted has suddenly started to wee

Customer Question

my male cat that has been neuted has suddenly started to wee in the kitchen he has always been a very clean cat and always went outside to go to the toilet no matter how bad the weather was. he would always wake us up in the early hours to go out but does not so now. we have no new animals in the house and no new cats in the area but he will still go out and wee in the kitchen and not in his tray which is clean . he has been in the cattery and always used his cat tray there. 2 years ago we had to take him to vets Liverpool hospital as he could not wee as he had chrystals in his bladder but they treated him and has been fine ever since he is on a special s/0 moderate control diet with some wet foods. do we have to take him to the vets? he is 9 years old non pedigree maine coon
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Monty's situation....

From what you have told me, it appears that Monty is suffering from some type of stress that has caused this inappropriate elimination. This could be due to a territorial issue or some other stress that you are not aware of. The first thing to do is to have your vet examine Monty again to be sure there is not a medical reason for this behavior. In most cases, this is a mental issue. If this is ruled out, the next thing you need to do is to purchase from any pet store a product called Feliway. This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will discourage this bad behavior. Follow the directions on the bottle. Next, make sure to change all litter boxes to different places especially where there is little traffic. Keep these boxes extremely clean.

Try using different types of litter and make sure to clean these areas with an odor eliminator such as Nature’s Miracle.

Use aluminum foil or double sided tape in the problem areas which may discourage using these spots.

If this is not sufficient, your vet has medication that can help with this problem and, if used along with the Feliway, hopefully, will be successful. These medications are antianxiety drugs such as Fluoxetine or Clomipramine. Here is a website that has more tips:
www.petplace.com/cats/inappropriate-elimination/page1.aspx

Click CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site.

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat-behavior-problem-medications

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****