Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Back in October I had two kittens given the one when doing

Customer Question

Back in October I had two kittens
given the one when doing a number two bleeds and still do now and again but is so heathy but she is a bit thiner than other one not alot
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does she pass blood with every motion?

Are her stools normal consistency, soft, or diarrhea?

When did you last worm her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No not every time wormed then 7 weeks normal stool

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Janet,

Now as long as the blood being passed is not profuse and her gums are as pink as the other kitties, we'd not be panicked about sinister issues like toxins, viral infections or obstructive items. As well, if this is intermittent and she isn't in pain, anal gland disease would also be less likely here. With those ruled out right off the bat, that leaves us to consider other reasons that we might see a a small volume of fresh blood in feces. This includes if she was struggling to pass a particularly hard bowel movement or if she potentially has a parasitic infection (ie whipworms, coccidia, giardia), inflammation or infection of the colon (colitis).

In regards ***** ***** approach here, the first step would be to consider worming her to remove the concern of parasitic causes. This is especially advisable if it has been 7wks since you last did so. At her age, we'd want to worm monthly until she is 6 months. Ideally, we'd want to use Panacur, Drontal, or Milbemax as it will cover all the worms in question and rule them out as the cause for her signs. These are available over the counter at the vets, pet stores, and some pharmacies. Do make sure you have an idea of her weight before purchasing, so you make sure to get the right dose for her size.

From there, we'd next want to address and rule out inflammatory colitis. To do so, we can often settle these with a light/easily digestible diet. (Though bacterial induced colitis will often require antibiotic treatment). Examples of bland diets would be boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or meat baby food (avoid those with garlic powder in the ingredients) There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like this (ie Hill’s I/D, Royal Canin Sensitivity Control, etc). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. We usually will try them on the diet for a week until signs settle, and then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.

While taking these steps, we'd want to monitor for any further blood, discomfort, or straining when passing feces. As long as she is comfortable and we see no more, then we'd be happy. If we continued to see blood or she was showing signs that she was sore when passing feces, then we'd want a check with her vet. The vet will be able to examine your kitty, assess her hydration, and test a fecal sample (to rule out bacterial and protozoal causes) Depending on their findings, they would be able to cover her with appropriate antibiotics or anti-protozoal drugs to settle this for her.

Overall, the intermittent blood present in her stool tells us that there is inflammation and issue within the lower bowel or colon. Therefore, since it has been over a month, do rule out the parasitic differential by treating for with a wormer that will address whipworms today. As well, do trial her with an easily digestible diet for inflammatory colitis. But if that doesn't settle then we do want to have her seen by her vet to make sure none of those other agents are afoot.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )