Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

Hello, My 10 year old cat Trouble was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidsm

My 10 year old cat Trouble was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidsm after I took her to the vet. She had been loosing weight, became very vocal and affectionate and was eating so much food. The vet performed a blood test (had to sedate her as she is such a nervous cat) the results came back with a very high score. Trouble has been on 15 mg vidalta once a day since 1st December so its just coming up to two weeks.
She has calmed right down. Eating well but a lot more back to her normal self. Her coat looks great and her eyes bright. The only thing I have been monitoring is her heart rate as this still is quite high. I dont think it has come down much despite everything else going well. My question is whether I am expecting things too soon. My vet doesnt want to see her till end of Jan so I dont know whether this is because she isnt expecting to see much of a change yet.
She appears to be gaining weight but again I dont know whether i am wanting things to resolve to quickly. Could you give me some advice.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. So her appetite seems to be not as voracious. Do you feel that she's starting to put back on some weight? How are you taking her heart rate and when? Do you have to catch her to do this? What rate are you getting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, She is still eating well but she isnt begging like she was doing before. It got bad as when we sat down for dinner she would just be meowing.

I think she is putting on weight.

I took her heart beat earlier when she was resting and it was around 170 bpm the vet said she wants her to be around 145 but when i have done research 170 seems normal??

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for that information. At this time, I wouldn't be overly concerned with her heart rate. Honestly, heart rates can be very subjective when taking them depending on environmental stimuli and everything considered. I wouldn't be overly concerned with a rate of 170. Honestly, at this time she is appearing to be clinically responding to the Vidalta - she is having her appetite controlled better and she appears to be putting on weight. Other cats with hyperthyroidism can have vomiting or diarrhea as clinical signs that are being monitored as far as response to therapy.
I would continue to do the dosing of the Vidalta as your vet has prescribed. I would continue to take care of her as you are and I wouldn't be overly concerned with taking her heart rate. I would use the other criteria at this time to see how she is responding.