Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Thanks for you answer. Can you tell me how to obtain cosequin?

Thanks for you answer. Can you tell me how to obtain cosequin? I should mention he has been on Vet Vit Flexi-Joints for several years now.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Just since I didn't want you to be left waiting for a reply, I would just note that Cosequin is an over the counter support measure and can be purchased OTC at vets, some pet stores, and even online (ie Amazon - HERE). That said, I would advise comparing its ingredients and strengths to what you are using now as they are similar products and the switch may not be indicated here.

Furthermore while I do agree that weaning your lad down to the lowest dose that keeps him comfortable is ideal, I would note that as long as his kidney function is good (which can be monitoring by urine and blood testing by your vet), there isn't a reason to be overly worried about Metacam use. While in the US the oral Metacam is only licensed for dogs, here in the UK we have a cat licensed Metacam product. Therefore, as long as
Stripes is healthy with good kidney function, we can safely use this as needed. And if we had any worries uncovered by blood/urine testing, then we can consider alternative medication options like oral Bupenorphine to keep Stripes comfortable and moving well for you.

Overall, if he is on Flexi-joint already, then the Cosequin may not be necessary. Otherwise, you will want to start slowly weaning the Metacam down to the lowest dose necessary but if you had any worries about his kidney health, then do consider submitting a urine sample for testing or speaking to his vet about a geriatric blood sample to make sure everything is working as it should.

Please take care,
Dr. B.