Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat Felix is around 16 years old. Over some time his bulk

My cat Felix is around 16 years old. Over some time his bulk and gloss has much reduced and he’s now thin and bony despite eating well. Last 2 months he has been emitting the most horrendous howling noise for no apparent reason when he enters our house. In an effort to deter him-scold him-I slapped him with my slipper and he ran out. Sometime later when he came back in he was limping.
He has gradually over the last week lost any ability to support his own body weight. After 2 visits to the Vet he is no better. He is taking some fluids but refuses food. This lack of limb coordination may be due to damaged nerves and I fear that I may have injured my cat unwittingly. I would be devastated to have him put down but wonder what your advice might be?
James D.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello James, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Felix hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I do have a few questions to ask first, if you don't mind:

1. Was any blood work done at the vet's office?
2. If so, what were the results?
3. Is he showing any response to Metacam?

There may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.

Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There was no blood test carried out. No response to Metacam so stopped it. He is just lying down all floppy limbed. Still breathing: did drink a little water but then vomited. We really are finding it hard and I feel unable to confide in my family that I am probably to blame for his condition.

James

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
James:
Thanks for the additional information but I hope I can reassure you that you had nothing to do with what's going on with Felix.
I suspect you're racked with guilt but please believe me that you didn't cause his situation.

There could be a number of possible explanations for his current symptoms but he really needs to have blood work done. For example, cats with Diabetes can develop diabetic neuropathy similar to humans.
Toxoplasmosis can also cause neurologic as well as other signs.

If he just had back leg issues, then a problem with his spine might be responsible but it would take more than a slap with a slipper to cause such an issue.

Since he hasn't responded to the Metacam, it's unlikely that arthritis alone would be causing all of his signs (although it might cause excessive vocalization).

I don't want to be overly optimistic since he sounds in quite a bad way but you didn't make him sick. I suspect something has been brewing for a while now since he's lost so much weight which has finally caught up with him. Cats are masters at hiding significant disease until they can't any longer.

Please don't continue to blame yourself about what's going on with him. Deb
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Deb

Thank you very much for your assurances. I will try and abide by it and not reproach myself. Whether I succeed or not I can only do the best for my cat now and believe, as you imply, he has now used up the last of his 9 lives.

James D.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
James:
You're more than welcome.

I hope I'm wrong about him...that nothing serious is going on...but at least if that is the case, then you know he's had long life filled with much love and affection.

I hope you'll keep me posted about him.

Even after you've rated (if you do, of course), we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you.

Best of luck. Regards, Deb

Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tonight myself wife and daughter took our much loved cat Felix to an all night Veterinary practice, He was assessed as untreatable and we held him as he was put to sleep. We grow old with our pets and its so hard to realise life without them.

The Vet was so kind and understanding but it must also be difficult for them at times to see a family in such distress.

Thank you once again

***** ***** D

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this about Felix but I'm glad that you had him seen.

This is always a very difficult decision to make about our beloved pets but clearly this was the best decision under the circumstances...even though it always seems worse to lose them around the holidays.

Euthanasia is one of the worst things about my job but on the other hand, I'm glad that I have that option to end suffering and pain.

I appreciate your taking the time to let me know about him and I'm also appreciative of the rating. My sincere condolences to you and your family at this sad time. Kindest regards, Deb

PS