Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Hi my cat seems unable to poo. He haunches his back and tries

Hi my cat seems unable to poo.
He haunches his back and tries , but nothing comes out other than a couple of small drops of brown watery fluid.
Can you advise me please?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

First we have to be certain Charlie is truly straining to defecate and is not straining to urinate. If you see liquidy brown stool coming out then this is to pass stool, but if you see clear fluid, then he may be straining to urinate. Straining to urinate in a male cat of any age is a medical emergency. What is reassuring is that he may be able to pass some urine, but in a male cat he is at high risk for urethral obstruction which would then make him unable to urinate. Therefore, if he is continuously straining still, possibly even vocalizing while straining, I must recommend you take him in to be seen on emergency as soon as possible. If his urinary system becomes obstructed due to swelling (or a lodged stone or other debris lodged) in his urethra then he could die from the secondary kidney failure; this is one of those few true medical emergencies in cats.

Dr. Joey :

On the other hand if you feel he is passing urine no problem and this is truly due to diarrhea (loose stool) then I can give you some hints to try at home but this is probably something that would best respond to prescription medication as your vet can prescribe. So, if there is any blood in the stool or he has been straining for longer than 24 hours I, again, must recommend your take him in to be seen.

Dr. Joey :

If you feel confident this is due to diarrhea (loose stool) and he is doing great otherwise (eating well, normal attitude) and he was my patient but you could not take him in to be seen then I might recommend you try:

1) Bismuth sulfate suspension (Peptobismol liquid): Give 1/2 (one-half) ml by mouth every 8 hours for diarrhea. This medication must be given 1 hour after any other medication as it will coat the system and can potentially prevent absorption of other medications

2) If he is not eating well you could try giving him famotidine 10mg at one-fourth tab once daily to aid in treating sour stomach. There are no bad side effects of this and you can find it at any pharmacy for people.

3) Start a good probiotic supplement. You can get one from your vet (such as Proviable or Fortiflora) or use one you trust as made for people or you could use plain yogurt at one-half teaspoonful once daily (although this is often not as good as the prepared probiotic for pets.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

I have taken Charlie to the vets today.

They have placed an enema in him and we are hoping that this helps him to defecate properly .

I am assessing him until tomorrow morning , and i will contact the vet again if there is no change in his condition.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
This poor guy. I do really hope he feels better. I also hope if they suspect him to be constipated that they did complete screening lab work (CBC, chemistry profile and urine check +/- thyroid screening) to try to figure out WHY he became constipated. This is a symptom in most situations, not a disease. The treatment is not just an enema but also hydration! So, hopefully he got subcutaneous (or IV) fluid therapy and you started him on some drugs to help soften his stool.
In my patients of his age it is very important to be sure he does not have liver or kidney issues, and if none is found then make sure he is not hyperthyroid.
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ufortunately on further tests , the vet found a tumor on Charlie's bowel which was causing a blockage.

He had more on his stomach , we decided to have him put to sleep as we did not want him to suffer any longer.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
I am so very sad to hear this. At his age this is a reasonably common issue and his prognosis would have been guarded, even with surgical resection of the mass. Your decision, although difficulty, was a loving one. Please know my thoughts are with you. Take care.