Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hi Dr Deb. Today we had the wonderful news that the 'area of

Customer Question

Hi Dr Deb. Today we had the wonderful news that the 'area of concern' is not malignant but is a result of 'trauma' - probably from the bladder stones. (It had a long name ending with so,etching like heamatoma'.) Obviously we are delighted and Sid has also put on 0.2 kilo since he started the Valium two days ago. He's still very wobbly but the vet sees no reason why he shouldn't make a good recovery. My only question now is whether there is anything we can do to help with the thickening of the bladder wall or is this permanent? Also, will he only ever be able to do small wees from now on? Many thanks.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Michele

That's great news; you must have been on pins and needles waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm so glad it didn't:)))

If the bladder thickening is solely secondary to irritation from the stones, then with time the wall should return to normal; I wouldn't expect it to be a permanent problem.
If this is inflammation, then he may benefit from an anti-inflammatory drug such as Metacam which is a slightly different formulation in the UK and thus safer than the one we have here in the States.

I honestly don't know if Cosequin for Cats will be of help but it certainly won't be harmful. This is a powdered daily supplement initially intended to help with joint issues but it was also found to have protective benefits for the bladder (in some cats).

I really wouldn't expect his volume to remain small forever. I would actually expect a full recovery although it might obviously take some more time...and possibly additional medications such as Prazosin whic I mentioned in our previous conversation.

I couldn't be more delighted for you and Sid:)) Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Deb, unfortunately we have to be careful with Metacam because Sid has some issues with his kidneys. He's not on any kidney meds yet but he does have a Renal diet. I'm not sure whether all these recent issues will have caused problems for his kidneys but previous to this event his kidney readings were stable.
He had been prescribed Cystophan* however the vet felt that he was on so many meds that she didn't want to introduce another. However he finishes his antibiotics in a couple of days along with his pain relief, so perhaps we could introduce it then? *Is this similar to Cosequin?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Michele:
I have similar concerns about Metacam which is why I don't prescribe it for my patients...certainly not my older ones. This drug scares me too much to want to run the risk of causing harm:(
We really have so few options when it comes to cats and anti-inflammatory drugs Another choice is Onsior which can only be used for three days in a row but it, too, should be used in caution with cats who have renal issues.

I'm not familiar with Cystophan but looked it up; it would appear to be the same thing (or very similar) to Cosequin. The former appears to be capsules while the latter is a chicken-flavored powder which most cats like pretty well (if mixed in wet food).

Deb

Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Michele: Once again thanks for the rating and bonus:)

Please continue to keep me posted about Sid if you have the time. We can continue to communicate at no additional charge to you as we have been during this exchange.

He's clearly not out of the woods just yet but it sounds like he's moving in the right direction:)

I hope you and your family (and Sid, of course) have a good new year. Deb