Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Please help, my cat was put on thyroid tablets but had a terrible

Customer Question

Please help, my cat was put on thyroid tablets but had a terrible reaction to them and clawed her face and ears raw. We've taken her off the tablets but we've been told that the only other option is medicated food, which she refuses to eat. Her symptoms are returning since she is not on any medication and she is pooing on the carpet rather than her litter tray, she is obviously distressed. Please tell me if there is anything else that can be done for her, she's a very sorry soul at the moment and it's heartbreaking to see her like it...
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I understand how difficult this is for you at this time. Such a reaction to methimazole and her reluctance to eat the Hill's y/d leaves us with just two possible avenues to pursue. The best avenue is radioactive iodine therapy. It's curative but pricey. The other avenue is surgical resection of the thyroid glands which should be performed by a specialist veterinary surgeon who is best equipped to avoid removing Maggie's parathyroid glands along with her thyroids glands. The inadvertent removal of the parathyroids leaves my patient with the need for the lifelong need for regulation of their calcium and phosphorus levels which can be a daunting task.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.