Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My two year old female neutered cat fed normally on dry food

My two year old female neutered cat fed normally on dry food with access to water is not eating as normal. She breaks up the food lumps and leaves them on the floor, does the same with her hard treats and has not been as regular in excreting faeces as usual. She is active and friendly and behaving normally other than her eating.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been struggling to eat?

Has she had any vomiting or retching?

Any gulping or lip licking?

Any drooling or pawing at her mouth?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi John,

Since you appear offline, I will leave my thoughts for your return. Now based on your history, I would be quite concerned that your lass is struggling with dry food and hard treats due to oral discomfort or pain. This can be related to dental disease but also seen with cats that have gingivitis, oral growths, oral wounds, and those with mouth/throat ulcers (often related to viral infections). And just to note, if she is eating less because of her struggles, she will produce less feces (since less in = less out).

In this case, it would be ideal to have her mouth examined by her vet. They can check for the above and depending on their findings, she may just need a course of antibiotics and cat safe pain relief (ie Metacam) or may need a bad tooth removed. But in these cases, once that causative agent is addressed, these cats to regain their normal eating habits.

So, this is a situation that does need to be looked into before she loses weight, goes off her food and becomes really poorly (since cats cannot handle being off food). Though while you are arranging this for her, do try offering soft wet food (ideally pate style). These tend to be easier to eat and often cats with painful mouths can manage these if not dry food. As well, if she is struggling with this as well, do plan to offer kitten food. This is more nutrient dense and will get more nutrition in per bite if she is really struggling with this.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )