Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My cat has lost a lot of weight and has no energy at all, he

My cat has lost a lot of weight and has no energy at all, he is off cat food but still eating tuna and chicken and drinking just not much. He's eight years old and up til now has been very healthy and active, what could be the problem?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

From your description: weight loss, lethargy, decreased appetite and only eating treats, I'm worried about something more serious such a kidney failure or liver disease.

Dr. Susan :

I recommend starting with a physical exam and some senior blood screening.

Customer:

Is this treatable?

Dr. Susan :

Often this can be enough to diagnose a condition like this, and then we can begin a treatment plan.

Dr. Susan :

Treatable - yes, curable - often not.

Dr. Susan :

That means we can manage these conditions with diet change and medications, but it is hard to say more than that without a concrete diagnosis.

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Susan :

Renal failure, for example, is a chronic and progressive disease.

Dr. Susan :

You're welcome. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.