Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

my cat Rastus was a stray i took in.He is a neuter about 12

Customer Question

my cat Rastus was a stray i took in.He is a neuter about 12 yrs old. lovely cat, very big playful and affectionate but nervous so difficult to handle, has suddenly become apathetic wont eat but licks his lips a lot, sits in a heap and moves away if I try to get near him. he coughs a lot when he wakes up from sleep and occasionally throws up hairballs. I wonder if in his wilder days he may have got something lodged in his throat. what can I do, most vets will be closed on new years day.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. I'm so sorry to hear about Rastus being so ill!

Dr. Barbara :

Many different diseases can cause coughing, lethargy, and pain. Some are emergency situations like heart failure, diabetes, urinary obstruction, etc. Is Rastus able to urinate normally? For how long has he been ill? Has he been drinking more water than usual for awhile? . . .and. . .What color are his gums?

Dr. Barbara :

Most vets will provide emergency care. . .either by their own clinic or through referral to an emergency clinic.

Dr. Barbara :

I'd like to try to determine if he is stable enough to wait for veterinary care, and to determine what you can do for him in the meantime.