Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Hi, I have a question regarding my cat Molly, she has been

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question regarding my cat Molly, she has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, she was given 15mg vidalta and had a blood test after 3 weeks of taking these and it was decided to reduce the amount to 10mg vidalta a day. She has been taking these for around a week and a half and the last week she has been very lethargic and not herself, a bit spaced out and just sleeping all the time, not doing her usual funny things, and grumbling a lot if we pick her up etc, the last few days she has hardly been eating at all, we have tried all sorts of different foods, she has only been having a couple of mouthfuls each day and just doesn't seem interested in eating. She is due for another blood test on the 9th to check t4 levels but should I take her back to the vets before then or try not giving her the vidalta for a few days and see if her appetite comes back? Kind regards, Lynsey
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Molly today. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

I would not wait until the 9th to have her checked out.

Rebecca :

This could be a side effect of the Vidalta, or she could be sick from something unrelated to her hyperthyroidism.

Rebecca :

If she were my cat, I would check her kidney values and her T4 sooner.

Rebecca :

If you check her gums, do they look a normal pink color, or do they look at all pale?

Rebecca :

Check her for dehydration by gently pinching some skin over her shoulders, and letting go. The skin should go right back into position, in less than one second. If it takes longer, she is dehydrated and may need supplemental fluids.

JACUSTOMER-jpa3kflk- : It's hard to see her gums, she's not letting me look at the moment
JACUSTOMER-jpa3kflk- : its hard to tell with her skin too as she has long hair, it seems to go back quickly
JACUSTOMER-jpa3kflk- : i noticed she had a drink yesterday
Rebecca :

That is good, if her skin goes back quickly.

JACUSTOMER-jpa3kflk- : is it common that loss of appetite is a side affect of the vidalta?
Rebecca :

It is one known side effect, yes.

Rebecca :

The most common side effects are vomiting, not eating, and depression, within the first 3 months of starting this medication.

JACUSTOMER-jpa3kflk- : Right okay, so these are things that pass after 3 months normally
Rebecca :

No, these are things that can start in the first 3 months. Sorry for not being clear.

Rebecca :

Some cats that stop eating on this medication, do not start eating again until the medication is stopped.

Rebecca :

But she might not be eating because of something else: infection, kidney disease, etc.

Rebecca :

So if she were mine, I would do a good examination and some blood tests.

Rebecca :

Anytime a cat this old stops eating, it tells me something is wrong.

JACUSTOMER-jpa3kflk- : Would you keep giving her vidalta until she sees the vet?
Rebecca :

No, not if she were my cat.

JACUSTOMER-jpa3kflk- : ok, so I'll stop giving it her and hopefully get an appointment tomorrow or saturday
Rebecca :

That sounds good.

Rebecca :

Try to get her to keep drinking. Offer water, broth, tuna juice, anything she might like, to stay hydrated.

JACUSTOMER-jpa3kflk- : Ok, we will.
Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can answer or help with?

Rebecca :

I will be checking back to see how she is doing.

Rebecca :

I hoe she is doing better when I check back with you.

JACUSTOMER-jpa3kflk- : Thank you for your help, I'm hoping the vets are open tomorrow.
JACUSTOMER-jpa3kflk- : thank you.
Rebecca :

I hope so, too. You are welcome.

Rebecca :

Kindly consider rating my answer, when all your questions have been answered.

Rebecca :

I am here in chat, as long as you keep the question open. Can I help with or answer anything else?

Rebecca :

When you close the chat (by rating my answer) I can schedule my follow up with you. Do you need me for anything else?

Rebecca :

I guess you left the chat?

Rebecca :

I hope to hear from you soon. If there is anything else please let me know.

JACUSTOMER-jpa3kflk- : Hi, sorry, I was trying to get her to drink something. I will rate your answer, thank you.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Lynsey,
I hope Molly is better soon. Let me know how she is doing, and what else I can help with.
Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome! Did you get her to drink anything?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, she had a few small bits of food last night but couldn't get her to drink. We have just come back from the vets where the vet checked her heart rate which was normal and her temperature which was normal. She said she didn't think it was related to the vidalta as she thought it was too sudden (her not eating) as she's been on them for 4 and a half weeks and would have expected a quicker reaction. She has given her an injection of cerenia 20ml and convenia, one for settling her stomach in case she is just feeling unwell and the other I think was an antibiotic to settle a bit of inflammation of her gums around her back teeth which are in a bad way, (they have been for a while). We were trying to get the hyperthyroidism under control before we tackled the teeth, but because she is old and also has a heart murmur, we wouldn't want her put under anaesthetic for this. The vet suggested taking her food away for a few hours and offering her something later tonight. If neither of these things gets her to eat by tomorrow morning, we should take her in again. I was hoping you could give a second opinion from this info? We didn't give her the vidalta pill last night, I wouldn't say I have noticed a change in her behaviour yet and she still hasn't drank or eaten today, just a couple of pieces of bacon bits, that she seemed very interested in but then didn't really want. Hope to hear from you soon. Kind regards, lynsey
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I would have thought a reaction to the VIdalta would have been sooner as well, until I did some research for your question, and found that some cats stop eating after being on it for as long as 3 months.
I agree with getting the hyperthyroidism under control before doing anesthesia and dentistry.
Did your vet do any blood work, check kidney values or her thyroid level?
There is a phenomenon seen in hyperthyroid cats, that when they begin treatment and the thyroid levels starts to normalize, "suddenly" the cat is in kidney failure. It is believed that hyperthyroidism helps protect kidney function. These cats probably already have kidney disease, but their symptoms are masked, and their kidney function somewhat protected by being hyperthyroid. Treat the hyperthyroidism, take away that "protection" and the symptoms of kidney disease are unmasked.
So when I am treat a cat for hyperthyroidism, I check their kidney numbers a month into the treatment, even if they were normal before.
If she is not eating soon, I would run some blood tests.
Let me know what other questions you have.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the great rating!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your reply, she is due for a blood test to check her t4 levels in a weeks time and I will ask to check kidney values then too. She has eaten in the night, mainly cat biscuits which would suggest to me it's not her teeth that are problem, and about half a sachet of food, she has eaten just a little bit this morning too. The vet said she was doubtful of kidney problems as she wasn't drinking and I assume excessive drinking is the main symptom of kidney problems. But I will definately ask to get it checked in the blood test next week.
Kind regards,
Lynsey
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Good to hear she is eating!
Excessive drinking is a sign of kidney problems, that is also good news.
Let me know what you find out.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Lynsey,
How is Molly doing?

Rebecca