Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat is about 17, and may have hyperthyroid problems. The

My cat is about 17, and may have hyperthyroid problems. The vet wants to take her in for a day for a series of tests. Cat does not like being handled; she is an ex rescue cat, and I am reluctant to put her through this. Also I will struggle to pay the estimated cost of all these tests, over £300. My question, is the cat likely to be in any pain or discomfort, if I Leave her untreated? At present, she is restless, and eating twice as much as usual, but otherwise ok. 2nd question, why cannot I pay for a couple of weeks supply of pills on a trial basis, without the need for expensive tests. The vet says it isn't done; why not?
I'd be grateful for your comments. Many thanks, Janet *****@******.***
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to help you. Hyperthyroidism can be very uncomfortable for cats. The restlessness is enough to cause discomfort. It can raise their heart rate, blood pressure and lead to further organ damage, including the brain, heart and kidneys. It would be extremely bad medicine and borderline malpractice to start a cat on this medication without confirming hyperthyroidism. You can cause more problems with too low a thyroid level, and there is no way you can monitor the levels and determine if they are regulated without getting baseline values. I would only try a medication without a diagnosis if the risks of harm were very low if I was wrong. With thyroid medication for cats, this isn't the case. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.