Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Vomiting after eating and panting, sleeping a lot. She is

Vomiting after eating and panting, sleeping a lot. She is a 12 year old spayed tabby. An indoor cat except for very quick forays outside! Has taken to defacating indoors on the door mat. Two new cats moved in as neighbours. I had a minor stroke at Christmas, could this be making matters worse? Nina Ayres

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- Is there always food in the vomit?
4- How often is she panting?
5- Does she pant without vomiting?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Started about 2 weeks ago, but seems to be getting worse.

No, apart from dental problems for which I feed her Hills Prescription t/d dental protection dry food.

Yes, but not recognisable as such, the vomit is yellow, not brown! Her stools are dry and look just like the food compacted.

Only once when I was ill and again this morning.

Yes.

P.S. I can hear her eating now.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Nina, anytime a cat pants it is a sign of stress or heart/lung disease. In this case the fact that she has been vomiting it is very possible the stress could be an underlying gastrointestinal problem or secondary to a systemic disease. Common possible causes are: Heart/lung disease, kidney disease, hormonal disorders, esophagus disorders, etc. to name a few causes. This is Not related to you have a mini stroke.
Her defecating out of the litter box further supports an underlying medical disorder, this is not a behavior problem.
In this case, we are very limited as to what you can do at home. The first place to start in this case would be a hands on examination with family veterinarian, blood work and +/-xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, change her diet to a bland diet of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the vomiting is resolved.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter