Sophie-Vet
Sophie-Vet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary surgeon working in companion animal practice.
27746029

My older black persian has a skin problem where he scratches

My older black persian has a skin problem where he scratches on a certain spot and has time. He has flaked on his back and part of his skin is raw from where he has been scratching. He will be scratching then fall on the floor and start peeing. I don't know what is wrong. I have tried flea shampoo and flea medication and it doesn't seem to help. Do you have any idea what could be wrong? I just started using bag balm on the affected area.

Category: Cat
Expert:  Sophie-Vet replied 2 years ago.
Sophie-Vet :

there, my name is ***** ***** I would like to try to help you.

Sophie-Vet :

I am sorry to hear about your cat.

Sophie-Vet :

When he falls to the floor is he concious? Could he be having a siezure?

Sophie-Vet :

I'll try and wait to come back online.

Customer:

No he's awake. He starts peeing too.

Sophie-Vet :

there

Sophie-Vet :

That is very unusual. Where does he scratch?

Customer:

On his side but I went to look and started cutting back his fur and he has a raw area. I do notice white flakes on his skin.

Sophie-Vet :

The white flakes are probably dry skin. The sore patch is it flat, raised, smelly? What does it look like? How big is it?

Sophie-Vet :

Are you certain he is producing urine? Not yellow liquid from this wound?

Sophie-Vet :

Does it smell?

Customer:

We're checking trying to find him.

Sophie-Vet :

OK no problem, I'll check back in 5 mins

Customer:

I can't find him but remember it isn't really raised it's got red spots like he's irritated it by scratching the area. When you feel his skin it is rough and irritated in the one spot.

Sophie-Vet :

Ok, sounds like your right about the scraching, they often make things a lot worse when they self traumatise the area.

Sophie-Vet :

I have never ever seen a case of a cat fall to the floor and urinate other than siezuring, this is certainly very unusual. My only idea is that on scratching it is is so sore he gives himself a shock. The two could of course also be completely unrelated.

Sophie-Vet :

I would definatley get this checked out by your vet. They will likely give you a steroid cream to stop the itching and check him . They can also check the nerves and make sure the bladder is normal.

Sophie-Vet :

He could have an underlying skin allergy.

Sophie-Vet :

It is not unheard of to overlick themselves when they are stressed out but sratching is less likely.

Customer:

I found him and he has a red patches with scabbing.

Customer:

he scratches falls on his back and pees straight up in the air and all over himself.

Customer:

I put bag balm on it should I quit doing this?

Sophie-Vet :

That is very strange.

Sophie-Vet :

The cream may not help as it may be keeping the area too moist and not allowing it to heal properly.

Sophie-Vet :

Salt water bathing if anything would be best.

Customer:

I have done flea treatments, given him flea baths but nothing seems to work.

Sophie-Vet :

If you can try and take a video of your cat peeing and take it to your vet when you go appointment.

Sophie-Vet :

If it is not fleas then you need more tests, there will be an underlying reason.

Customer:

When you say a salt bath how much salt to water?

Customer:

do you think loosing his bowel function relates to it or is an affect of the itching?

Sophie-Vet :

Just a teaspoon in a cup of warm water should be fine, use some cotton wool to gentally clean the area.

Sophie-Vet :

He only wees or does he poo as well?

Customer:

I wonder if his hair should be cut. He pees a lot!

Sophie-Vet :

What does he do if you touch it?

Customer:

it's sensitive to him

Sophie-Vet :

Ok if it is just pee it is bladder control not bowel control he looses and I really couldn't say if it is related. It is certainly very strange.

Customer:

I feel so bad . He acts miserable

Sophie-Vet :

It could be his response to pain.

Sophie-Vet :

He just needs some tests to find out what the cause is. Once he is on the right treatment you can assess if the urinating is related because it will stop if it is.

Customer:

that could be true as he acts like it's driving him nuts

Sophie-Vet :

If it is not then your vet may give you some medication to help his bladder control.

Customer:

ok I will take him in to get checked.

Customer:

Thanks it is very bizarre!

Sophie-Vet :

It must be horrible. I've never seen a cat pee in pain like this sore patch. Definatley needs a check up

Sophie-Vet :

Please let me know how you get on, I am really interested.

Customer:

ok will do thanks again!

Sophie-Vet :

It is free after you rate/accept so you can always come back if you forget something or to let me know how you are getting on. I would be really keen to find out the diagnosis as this is a very bizarre case.

Sophie-Vet :

I hope he feels better soon.

Sophie-Vet :

Is there anything else at all I can do to help you?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
there, I am just wondering if there is anything else I can do to help you? Please don't forget to rate/accept my answer to let the site know I have answered your question. It is free after you rate/accept so you can always come back if you forget something or to let me know how you are getting on. All the best, Sophie