Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My cat is very old and has recently lost weight. He has some

My cat is very old and has recently lost weight. He has some wounds at the base of his tail. He seems to still enjoy eating. He has recently started asking for water. Should I continue to feed him just dry food or would he benefit from some wet food (which he much prefers)? I will be taking him for a check up later this week but in the meantime I am curious. He is generally still mobile and happy.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
If he has recently lost weight and he is drinking more water then you are absolutely correct in taking him to the vet this week! I would recommend allowing him to eat as much dry or wet food as possible right now. The wet food will be the best as it has more water content which will help the water craving and prevent dehydration which is typical of many older cat conditions. Long story short, go with the canned food until your vet gives you more guidance later this week.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan