Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

my cat has died suddenly today, he had a pale yellow foam

Customer Question

my cat has died suddenly today, he had a pale yellow foam coming from his mouth as he was passing away, and after he stopped breathing his body mostly his belly blew up , what could he of died of, i had , had him for 11 years and he was a persian. also my cat had,had a collar on for two months due to a skin problem he had that had not healed as quick as it should of could it be related as he seemed upset having the collar on, but if we took it off he would reopen his wound he had also started to pee himself in the house.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry to hear about Sumo. My sincere condolences. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
He he been eating and drinking normally right up until he died?
The only way to know for certain what was the cause of death, would be to have an autopsy done.
Sudden death in cats is usually due to a heart condition or a blood clot. Just like the young athletes that die suddenly while playing in a game, heart disease can go undetected, without any previous symptoms.
The fluid from the mouth may have been normal stomach fluid coming up, which can happen after death. It might have been coming from the lungs, and fluid in the lungs would be abnormal, and a sign of possible heart disease.
Another cause of sudden death in male cats is a blocked urethra, but usually these cats stop eating a day or so before passing away.
The collar probably was not related to his death, and I would not expect the skin condition to cause him to die. The problem was probably more internal.
I am so sorry about Sumo. My deepest sympathies. Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so in your opion it was an organ failure of some kind, and would that be because of his age. thank you for your sympthy xx
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I suspect organ failure, particularly heart failure, or else a sudden event like a blood clot in the brain or lungs.
Heart disease can occur in cats at any age; I have seen cats die of heart disease young or old. Heartworm is rare in cats, but can cause sudden death.
He was not that old, so I would not think he died of "old age" at 11. But if he had heartworm, or cardiomyopathy, or a tumor on his heart or in his lungs, he could have died suddenly as he did.
Let me know what else I can answer. Again, my condolences.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its put my mind at ease that i could not of done more. i thought that 11 human years was quite old for a persian. how long could he have lived had he not become ill, he had become less energetic over the last month but i had over looked this thinking he was just getting old as he had started to sleep a bit more as well..... does either of these things point more towards what he died of.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I agree, Persians are not as long lived as some other breeds, but I am seeing a 17 year old Persian right now. I have seen several 20 year old cats, but no Persians that old. Probably the oldest Persians I have seen were 17 or 18.
Cats can be very secretive about not feeling good. Sometimes all they do when they are ill is sleep in odd places, hide in closets, eat less, and sleep more. These are not signs of any particular illness; cats with arthritis, or heart disease, or cancer, or chronic kidney disease all will do things like this.
I still suspect heart disease, but only an autopsy would tell us for sure.
Let me know how else I can be of help.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
once again thanks for your help, at least i have some idea of what happened thank you...
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are so welcome. Thank you for the great rating.
Take care, and let me know if I can be of any more help.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Charlotte,
How are you doing?

Rebecca