Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

what can cause my cat to pee blood he was also sick ,he is

Customer Question

what can cause my cat to pee blood he was also sick and he's usually very greedy with his and his brothers food but not eaten very much since last night . its not like him he was just squatting down and doing little pees with blood in it .

Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Mucker.
I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
If he is passing small amounts of bloody urine, he probably has "cystitis", bladder inflammation. This can be caused by infection, and/or small crystals in the urine that irritate the bladder.
Sometimes a male cat will get "blocked", his urethra will be plugged up and he is unable to urinate. This is an emergency; the blockage has to be flushed out so he can empty his bladder again. However, if he is passing some urine, even a little, he is probably not blocked.
If he is not eating and has vomited, I would be worried about a blockage.
Even if this is not a blockage, he needs medication for the cystitis: pain medication, antibiotics. He should be checked by a veterinarian who will quickly know if he is blocked, by feeling his bladder. If his bladder is small, he likely will just need medication. If his bladder is enlarged, he will need to be sedated so the blockage can be flushed out.
Hope he is better soon. Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Rebecca