Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 15 year old cat had an operation to remove bladder stones

My 15 year old cat had an operation to remove bladder stones on 23rd December. He has made a slow recovery but appears to be much better now. However last evening he was sick after eating his food mixed with a capsule of Cistophan. (He has previously had this medication directly in capsule form but the vet advised to put it in food as we were having difficulty getting the capsule in him.) He also seemed to have a little blood in his wee, though on closer inspection it appeared to also be little fibre like things. Could this be his dissolvable stitches being passed out through his urine? This morning he hasn't eaten, though he is purring and doesn't appear to be in discomfort. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Will he eat and keep food down when offered food without the Cystophan?

Has Sid had any retching, lip smacking, or gulping?

Did the fiber look like muscle/mucus or like thread (suture material is often finely braided)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for responding. Yes he is eating fine without the Cistophan, although he is on a dose of one and a half Mirtazapine tablets every three days because when he was poorly he stopped eating and lost a lot of weight. His weight is now almost back to normal. He hasn't been doing any lip smacking or gulping and hasn't been sick since last night.

With regards ***** ***** I'm really not sure. However he did 3 wees during the night and only one had a little blood in it.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again Michele,

First, the fiber may have been a small amount suture material that had dissolved, but at this stage that is no worry (since the tissues will have healed at the incision site anyway). That said, we do just want to keep an eye out for any more since we can see mucus strands as a sign of bladder irritation (often alongside blood). So, that should just be monitored at this stage. If you see more, then we'd want to update his vet on this situation.

Now in regards ***** ***** vomiting when having the Cystophan, if it is only when he has it then we'd have to consider that it may not sit well in his stomach when given this way. We usually don' t have much issue with this product causing GI upset but each cat is an individual and it is possible that it just doesn't agree with Sid when given mixed in his food. Therefore at the moment, I would advise giving him a break for 24 hours with the Cystophan to make sure we can keep him eating well. If he doesn't have any further vomiting, you can reintroduce it at a half dose and then work him back up to the full dose. If he relapses and has further vomiting, then we can consider pre-treating him with an antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose Here ), or Zantac (More Info/Dose Here)), having his vet dispense oral anti-nausea medication (ie Metoclopramide, Cerenia, etc), or see if his vet feels that he can be off the Cystophan at this stage (since we don't want it upsetting his GI). We just want to take it step by step since we don't want to see any progression of nausea lead to him going off his food again.

Overall, if he is eating well with out the Cystophan, then I would advise a break for at least the rest of the weekend. If he settles, then we can slowly reintroduce it into his food. But if his vomiting recurs, then we know that it is not agreeing with him and would want to take one of the above steps to counteract his nausea with it or stop its course to prevent causing GI signs when trying to address his healing bladder.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )