Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

cat femail 16 years old

cat femail 16 years old
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

I am Dr. Joey. Thanks me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

If you could, please let me know what your question is. Is Daisy inappropriately urinating or spray in the house? Does she have a different medical or behavioral problem?

JACUSTOMER-bwidd4r2- :

Daisy has been scratching herself making her neck sore and red,, above her eye making it red and sore she scratches and licks herself until she is soaking wet. Although it seems to have got a bit better. Also around her tail base (she only has 1" of tail having lost her tail in an operation when she was 9 months old. She is 16 years old now and has no other problems in her life. She lost her friend about a year ago. Rosie was a Siamese who has several problem including 3 seizures and died. She was a year older than Daisybut they were very close.

Dr. Joey :

Any time we have scratching in the neck and tail base this is caused by flea allergy until we prove it is not. What kind of flea control are you using? It must be an effective product and I do recommend use one as recommended by your veterinarian as we are seeing spotty resistance to some drugs right now. So, the first step in treatment would be to use monthly topical flea control. IN addition she might need an antibiotic as prescribed by your vet if she has a secondary bacterial infection. And many cats this itchy do benefit from a corticosteroid (such as prednisolone) to reduce the itching.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No she is not spraying. I have been using Advantage flea spray. I must admit she seems to be getting over it. I have rung the vet as you suggest she might need antibiotics. Thank you advice.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
You are certainly welcome. Please keep me posted.