Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Approx. 18 months ago Roxy was acting normal and making a

Approx. 18 months ago
Roxy was acting normal and making a fuss being stroked and then lost most of the use of her back legs for a few minutes but was still acting normally. Lasted only a few mins and then was back to normal.
24.12.14 – approx. 11.45pm
Roxy did a strange meow and crouched on the floor, I thought she was going to be sick but wasn’t. She then rolled slowly onto her side and proceeded to open her bowels. She wasn’t making any strange movements or twitches or breathing heavy, she just seemed a little vacant. I was stroking and talking to her and after about 1-2 minutes she got back up and was acting normally and mauling her blanket. Whole thing lasted approx. 2-3 mins max.
17.01.14 – 5pm
I was preparing their dinner, went to give it to them and Roxy was crouched down and did not respond to her dinner or anything else around her. Her pupils were large and she just didn’t seem aware what was happening again no panting, or other movements. I kept her warm and stroked her then after a few minutes I encouraged her to get up and she spotted her dinner and at it as normal.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about these episodes of Roxy's. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
These sound like they could be some sort of seizure, or brain episode, or brief periods of not getting enough oxygen to her brain (called syncope). They could also be episodes of low blood sugar, or low blood pressure.
If she were mine, I would start with a complete physical and neurological exam: check her heart and lungs and pulse, check her reflexes, her eyes, etc.
If you see another of these episodes, I would check the color of her gums. They should be a normal bright pink; if her gums look at all pale, these are probably due to syncope, not enough blood to the brain.
Very strange, and I am sure scary to watch. Booking a vet appointment is a great place to start. Let me know what other questions you have.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks, ***** ***** booked in at the vets for tests however I wanted a bit of understanding of the possibilities first with what it could be and maybe what to ask for as I have only taken her to this vets for routine boosters.

She is a Sphynx and I understand that HCM is known to that particular breed, does it sound as though that could be a possibility? I will try and remember to check gums if it happens again, I did think of doing that but only afterwards.

Thanks,

Kirsty

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Yes, HCM would be something I would be checking her for.
Is there anything else I can help with, or answer?
Rebecca